Saturday, February 28, 2015

Week 7 Famous Last Words

This week, I received very encouraging feedback from Laura about my writing. Specifically, the stories I have included in my Portfolio. I never really thought that I could be a writer. I am not creative and can't come up with original ideas. However, that bodes well for me in this class since I am merely retelling or expanding on stories that already exist!

I also read a few stories from my classmates that I really, really enjoyed. For you Trekkies and Sci-Fi fanatics out there, I highly suggest you give Allison's Storybook a read. She did a seamless job creating a back story that was clear and simple, which is not always easy to do. I also really enjoyed the artwork and characters in Jenny's Storybook, "The Girls of Spring", in which Sita is compared to the famous Persephone of Greek Mythology (her story here). It's great to get to see different people write about what interests them!

Frederic Leighton's 1891 depiction of Persephone. (Source)
 
For any of you who have been following my literary conquest, I finally started (and finished) "Jane Eyre"! At first, I thought I was going crazy because although I was certain that I had never read "Jane Eyre", the plot was almost identical to another book I had read before. Of course, my senile brain couldn't remember which book it was. Eventually it popped into my head: "The Flight of Gemma Hardy". And after a little research, I realized it is one of the many adaptations of "Jane Eyre". So alas, I had sort of read it already. But it was definitely worth reading the original, which was (as usual) way better than the movie. They left out so much! Ah well.

Otherwise, life has been uneventful. Work has been slow. There's snow on the ground, yada yada. However, I am very excited for this next weekend because I am going to attend the Sooner Mosaic on campus.  It's an amazing day-long workshop on campus that offers different presentations on different social justice issues - race, gender equality, conservation, education, anything! The presentations are primarily put on by students, but there's a whole range of people who attend. It's free and they provide food! It's really a great way to learn about different issues going on and get involved in ways to help what you care about most. I highly suggest you register!

No comments:

Post a Comment