Sunday, February 15, 2015

Week 5 Famous Last Words

I really enjoyed writing my Storytelling assignment this week. It came surprisingly natural to write about a strange dream. Speaking of strange dreams, I had a really odd one last night:

My family and I were all at the hospital because my mom was having a baby. While she was giving birth, we all waited in this big room full of presents, all wrapped a different color for each woman who was giving birth. My mom came out later with the baby...yay! She opened some of her presents and then we all went home. Here's where it gets weird. I drove by myself in a big truck with the car seat (which was covered with a blanket...I assumed to help keep the baby asleep? I don't know!). Then my car runs of out gas 3 minutes from returning home. I freak out, not sure what to do. I start walking home and then realize, duh, the baby!! But I don't want to carry to baby home in the freezing cold and snow. Somehow I end up home with, as it turns out, an EMPTY car seat. And my family just makes fun of me for hours and hours about the whole thing. Eventually they just start teasing and tormenting me, being really cruel (which is totally unlike my family). I get really upset and try to defend myself but it just makes them laugh at me harder and no one takes me seriously. If you've ever had that happen to you, it's an awful feeling. The rest of it gets kind of fuzzy. What strange dreams do you guys have?

Yesterday I started a book called Fante, a memoir written by Dan Fante. It starts out about him telling the story of his Italian immigrant grandfather, and then father. His father, John Fante, is a novelist but ends up writing screenplays for a bunch of Hollywood shows and movies just to make a living, which he seriously resents. If you want to look him up, one of his books was made into a movie in 2006: Ask the Dusk. Although according to Dan Fante, the movie did not do the book justice. Anyways, the book talks about his father's struggles with writing and alcoholism. It eventually comes to his own story and his own struggle with surviving in New York in the 60s and 70s, alcoholism, and somewhat mental illness. It's been a great read so far and I've almost finished. I'll share a quote with you that I really enjoyed! 



Image created using Quozio


No comments:

Post a Comment