Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Week 5 Storytelling: The Dream

The red sky (Source)

Dear Rama,

My stay with Grandfather has been very pleasant. I wish you and the family were here to enjoy time with him, too. Last night I had the strangest dream. It's left me a little shaken, to be honest. You've always been able to give me sound advice. Maybe you can make something of it!

I was walking along the ocean shore. The sun was setting, tinting the sky red and orange. The soft waves were lapping at my feet, and I felt completely at ease. I stood, facing the ocean, and closed my eyes. I felt the water pool around my ankles and then retreat with the tide. I waited for it to come back, but felt nothing. I opened my eyes and water was rising up into the sky. As if it were raining upside down, the water going from the ocean into the clouds. I watched on and in seconds it was gone. The ocean was gone. All I could see for miles out was rock and mud. Fish and plants lay dead without their source of life.

Terrified, I ran home to tell father what had happened. As I approached Ayodhya, I noticed no fires were lit in any homes. The sun remained near the horizon but would not set, casting long shadows. The sky seemed red and angry. The air was so still and dry. I could hear the elephants cry loudly, their bellows cracking through the air like thunder. I looked around to try and help the ailing animals, but could not find them. All that could be heard were their painful laments. I slowly began to walk up the palace steps and felt something beneath my feet. I looked down and saw shattered pieces of something. I bent to get a closer look and realized the cause of the elephants' cries. Their tusks, big and sturdy, had fallen and shattered into thousands of pieces.

I ran up the palace steps hoping, needing to find anybody. Though I climbed and climbed, they did not seem to end. Finally I reached the top of the stairs and was high in the sky. The tall tower crumbling beneath me. Frantic, I tried climbing higher until I reached the very top. The sun finally began to dip below the horizon. Below me the earth burned with red light. The moon appeared in the high night sky. Its face resembled my mother's. 

"Help me! Please!" I cried out to it, afraid I might fall.

"Jump onto me,  and I will keep you safe," it replied.

Just as the last step fell to the Earth, I reach up and grabbed the moon. I pulled myself up into its curve. I felt cool sweat on my forehead, but began to calm. Only moments later, the moon and I began to fall. Smoke and sun glared up at us from the ground and I screamed. I called out for you, Rama, but you were not there. Just before I hit the ground, I woke up.

I don't know if it means anything at all or if it's just a silly dream, but I cannot help but feel uneasy about it. What do you think, Rama? Please respond speedily, as your words will calm me. I see three horseman with the Ayodhya flag coming up to grandfather's palace. Perhaps they have a message for me!

I miss you, dear brother. Give my love to father and the rest.

Love,

Bharata


----

Author's Note: This story was adapted from William Buck's "Ramayana." In the chapter titled 'Bharata Returns,' Buck mentions that right before the horsemen arrive to give him news of his father's death, Bharata awakens from a bad dream in which he sees the ocean dry, the moon fall, his father's elephants' tusks shatter, the fires of Ayodhya go out and smoking rising from the Kosala hills. I included all of the elements into my story and expanded upon each one, telling a detailed account of the whole dream. 

I decided to expand on this part of the story because I believe dreams can be a really fascinating way to see view our lives. Sometimes, they are meaningless. Other times, dreams can be an outlet for our subconscious. In storytelling, dreams can also be a great way to either foreshadow or express a character's feelings in a more descriptive way. Bharata is an interesting character in that he is offered a kingdom, and yet can see that Rama is truly meant to rule. He feels anger towards his mother and loyalty towards Rama and his father. I wanted to expand on Bharata's role and allow him to have a kind of adventure of his own (even if it is only in a dream). It is obvious in the Buck's story that he does not want to rule, and hopefully my story conveys that he really doesn't even have the ability to rule. He is always asking for help or seeking someone else.  

Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way. 

9 comments:

  1. Christina,
    This is such a unique telling of a small part of the Ramayana. I am so impressed! The imagery you included in your writing really helped me to see all of the colors and create my own picture for the dream of Bharata. I really like Bharata's character and loyalty, and I love how you portrayed that by making the story a letter to Rama. One technical thing was that I had a really hard time reading your author's note! The font is just a little bit too small. I also have bad eyes, so that could have something to do with it. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christina! This storytelling post was great! I really enjoyed reading it. Like Dakota said, this was such a small section of the story but the way you expanded the dream and set up the story as a letter from Bharata to Rama was great. You included so many details that really brought the Bharata's description of the dream to life as well as his unease about it. The picture you chose was also perfect for the story. I didn't notice any errors while reading, but like Dakota said, I had trouble reading the author's note. I enjoyed reading your retelling. Great job again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina, I really enjoyed how you focused on Bharata. It is weird to me how he is given such a small role in the Ramayana. In my opinion, he could have been a great character to use given some more character development. Anyways, you did a great job telling the story and adding details that appealed to the reader within the story. Throughout the reading, I felt as if I knew exactly what was going on the entire time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina,

    First off, your mini summaries for each story on your portfolio page are great! Each one made me intrigued to read the story. I also like how you said NEW STORY! I might have to copy that idea because I have many comments for one story but only one or two for the other.

    I read The Dream:
    Very vivid imagery! I really like the letter format and I also agree with you that dreams can be very interesting. I liked that you expanded upon the details in the Ramayana! I definitely think Bharata’s nightmare foreshadows or parallels King Dasharatha’s death. It’s a neat detail when you incorporate the messengers coming for Bharata into the letter.

    Your author’s note is also great! I didn’t even realize that you related Bharata’s lack of ability to rule to his tone in the letter. I found that very ingenius!

    A fix I found:
    The first word in your letter after greeting the should be capitalized (‘My’).

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Christina!

    I loved that you did a little summary at the bottom. I remembered that Bharata had a bad dream before he learned of his father’s death but I had no idea that the dream had such vivid images of the sun, moon and his father’s elephant tusks!!

    I really like that you had Bharata put so much emphasis in the letter on what Rama feels and what Rama thinks. I feel like it’s important that you included that because initially Bharata does not even want to take the thrown once his mother declares him king. He wants to give it Rama!

    You did a great job at painting a picture of the dream and the image of the sun that you chose had the perfect combination of red and orange.
    I think that your story was very well written and you just need to capitalize the “M” at the beginning of your story.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Christina!

    I enjoyed reading your story! I like how you put it into a letter form because it makes it more intimate between the characters. As a reader, it makes me feel like I am more deep into the story. I like the imagery you used to describe the dream. It allowed me to draw the pictures inside my head. I think it was a great idea to write the letter in Bharata's point of view since the story is always so focused on Rama.

    I like how you expended the dream. It really added a little spice to the story. You barely had any grammatical errors and the sentence flow was great! I loved reading your author's note. You explained the changes you made and gave a great amount of details on what you have changed. The picture perfectly described the dream you described!

    The story was well written and I can't wait to read more stories from you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christina,

    What an awesome story! I have not read/seen a story that was in a letter format from our class. I thought it was a very unique way to tell your story. You are right in that Bharata is usually seen asking for help, and this letter perfectly illustrates that. He is asking Rama for help in interpreting his dream. Bharata is clearly distraught after the dream, and you were able to show that. I have to say your writing style is very clean and concise which made reading your story an even better experience. I thought you did a wonderful job describing the dream. You included a lot of detail and emotion which made the dream seem almost real. I really like when people expand on moments that seemed small in the original story. It really gives the author freedom! It is obvious that you put your unique spin on the story, and you can tell in your writing that it was well thought out. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Christina! First off I am sad that I am just now getting to your blog so late in the semester!! I really love the layout and colors you have chosen. Grey has been one of my favorites lately!! Plus your background image is very relaxing! The red sky photo you chose for this story is beautiful! Now onto the story itself, I love that you chose to use a letter as the format for this story. It made it very relatable and easy to understand. I avoided dialog in a majority of my storys…for having such a little amount in this story you did a great job with it. The sign off gripped my heart! Your author’s note is great as well. You explained perfectly why you wrote the story the way you did. Overall great job on your blog and this story! Best of luck on the rest of the semester

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Christina! Congrats on also being nominated as one of the portfolio favorites! I definitely voted for you to be nominated and I'm glad you made it! One of the reasons I really loved your profile was because of all of your stories and their content and the way you wrote them. This story, when I was revisiting your page, I noticed was one that I overlooked and later realized that I had also written about this exact moment—Bharata's dream. The whole idea of it was really cool and I find it insanely weird that you decided to expand on those three points of the dream similar to what I did. I guess great minds think alike! I like how you addressed it in sort of a letter form, from Bharata to Rama. I agree with you about how dreams can sometimes be meaningful and sometimes not, and I think in this case, it was very meaningful. Dreams in general is a very interesting topic and something most all my stories on my portfolio circle around. All in all though, awesome story! I can't help but love it more since you're one of the only people I know that actually wrote about this scene too.

    ReplyDelete