Sunday, February 1, 2015

Week 3 Famous Last Words

This has been a fun week for me. I had some time off before I started my (new) job. So I spent a lot of time reading and going for walks around Lake Hefner. The weather was beautiful for it, and I'm glad I had the chance to do my own thing before I throw myself back into the adult world. I still don't feel like an adult. I feel like I'm just a young kid pretending I know what I'm doing. This is a weird age.

Personal photo taken of Lake Hefner, OKC, OK - January 26, 2015

I'm glad to hear everyone who read my last Famous Words post found E. B. White's quote as interesting as I did. I'm about 50 pages from finishing the book. The last few pages I've read were about New York City - how it had changed from when he first visited. And I'm sure it's changed even more so since he wrote those words. That city seems like it will always be changing. What I found most interesting was his writing from 1934, when he spontaneously decided to jump on a ship heading for Alaska. When he ran out of money, the captain hired him to work on the ship to keep his room and board. Sometimes I wonder if the things young people did back then could really fly today. Is it the times that are different, or just the people?

In case you live under a rock, today is the Superbowl. And in case you didn't know, I'm from Massachusetts. So today is basically like Christmas for me! I'm rocking my Patriots gear and am hoping for the best against the Seahawks. Their both great teams, and I'm not arrogant enough to think there's not a chance we could lose. Either way, it'll be a good game!


1 comment:

  1. Hey Christina! Congrats to us, the Patriots won! And Tom Brady was a beast!

    I skimmed over your previous "Famous Last Words" post and noticed that you were a Jane Austen fan... so I'm just going to assume you love Darcy as much as I do? Yes?
    Also, I really like some of your thoughts on whether some things kids did back then could still work now. The ship scenario that you provided was an interesting one because though it may not work here in the US, that kind of thing might work in other parts of the world. Being someone who travels overseas a lot, I can tell you that sometimes it feels like I'm traveling a few decades back in time when I head east.

    ReplyDelete