Monday, March 2, 2015

Reading Review Week

When the class began, I was really excited to read Narayan's Ramayana just so I could hear the story. And his version was perfect for that because it was short and sweet and to the point. By the time I had finished that and moved on to Buck's version, it was more difficult to stay focused since I already knew the story. Granted, Buck has such a different and more detailed writing style, one that I really enjoyed. His version gave the characters and stories a new life. But when it came to deciding whether or not to finish Buck's version or move on to the UnTextbook, it was an easy choice for me. The stories in the UnTextbook have been so fun to read. I never knew there could be so many different tales and fables! I do appreciate when the stories are a little longer and more developed, rather than the stories that are just a paragraph or two.

The strategy I utilize when writing my reading diaries has taken the form of a sort of commentary. I note when I like characters or certain stories (per the suggestions of past students), but I like to also include my thoughts on it. Did that part surprise me? How would I have made it different? Did it remind me of something else I've read or seen? It may not always be a full thought, but it's useful when going back for storytelling ideas. Usually I know I want to re-tell a story as soon as I read it, and I'll note that when I can.

I can tell that a lot of thought has been put into finding these stories and the different versions of the epics we've read. I really appreciate that! I also like that we can have options for what to read and write stories about. I suppose one interesting thing that could be added to the course readings is media. Since many of these stories are infamous, it would be cool to compare and contrast them with video adaptations of them. Have any of them been made into films or TV shows?

Ravana kidnapping Sita (Source)

I used the above picture in my Week 2 Reading Diary when we were reading Narayan's Ramayana. Even though it's probably insanely overused in this class, it is one of my favorites I've seen so far. The movement is real and it's exactly how I would depict Sita's abduction. I love that Sita's face is hidden but Ravana's is exposed, and smiling. It truly shows their characters' personalities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment