Sunday, March 8, 2015

Week 8 Famous Last Words

Lately, I have been receiving some really encouraging feedback about my writing. I really never considered myself to be an author, and yet I'm feeling more and more confident each week that it could be something I'm good at. But when I really think about it, I enjoy editing far more than I do writing. It's really got me thinking that I could do editing professionally some day. I just don't know what exactly makes a good editor. I've been thinking about offering my editing services to students on campus for papers and things like that. I used to have my mom and sister edit my papers all the time because the writing center was inconvenient or always booked up. Maybe I could be that second set of eyes for other students!

I realized this week that I'll probably be moving to Dallas in a month or two. I've been staying with my mom for the past month while working, and it's been a little crazy having to sleep in her office. I thought I'd be able to work remotely from OKC but it just makes the most sense to move to Dallas, since that's where my job's office is. So here I go again! I've only been in this OKC apartment for 2 months and I'm going to have to move again. Ugh...I hate packing.

This weekend I attended the second annual Sooner Mosaic. For those of you who have never heard of it, it's a social justice symposium that the OU Women's Outreach Center puts on every year. Student speakers present different social justice issues and talk about their research on whatever subject they're passionate about. It's a really amazing event that we have on campus that I don't think is widely advertised. They do it every March, so you should try your best to make it next year! I attended "Is Sexual Objectification a Legitimizing Myth?", "Deconstructing Racism", "Natives and the Academy", and "Minorities in For-Profit Higher Education". It was hard to choose just these four workshops, as there were many others to choose from. If any of these sound interesting to you, I'd be happy to tell you more about them!

Today I was happy to take a trip to the OKC Library and check out a few new books. My next choice is going to be "A Tale of Two Cities", which I regrettably have never read. I have always been a fan of classic literature, and try my best to read the older stuff. It's a great insight into how humanity and culture has progressed (or hasn't).

I'm also really excited because this week I bought tickets for my sisters and me to go see Mumford and Sons perform in Colorado in August! They are continuing their Gentlemen of the Road tour (which they brought to Guthrie, OK a few years ago). I went to the festival when they were here and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I am excited to see them perform again and be able to share it with my sisters!

Crowd at "Gentlemen of the Road" tour in Guthrie, OK. (Source)


2 comments:

  1. Yes! Read "A Tale of Two Cities"! I read that in high school, though I had already read it prior to reading it for school and it is wonderful. The ending is beautiful too so I certainly hope you get to that soon and enjoy it! Aside from that, you have tickets to Mumford and Sons! I love them and their music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to start it tomorrow! I had been listening to the soundtrack to Les Mis and it got me all in the mood to read about the French Revolution.

    ReplyDelete