Monday, March 30, 2015

Week 11 Reading Diary A: Indian Fairy Tales

Indian Fairy Tales

  • The Lion and the Crane 
    •  I wonder what it is about lions that always makes them dumb and mean in stories like these. 
    • I like that the lion was basically like, "I don't give a frick what you did for me, I'm still king"
  • The Broken Pot
    • Hahaha - this story just makes me laugh. This is totally the case with people who just overthink things waaay too much 
  • The Magic Fiddle 
    • Vaguely reminds me of the scene in "Alice in Wonderland", when the water keeps on rising and rising because of her giant tears
    • It's like the poor girls soul is stuck in the fiddle and her sadness can be heard every time it is played. What if that was a story? A fiddle that only plays sadly
    • Look up what a Bonga is??
File:Illustrations inset at page 41 of Indian Fairy Tales (1892).png
The Bonga girl filling up her pail. (Source)


  • The Tiger, The Brahman, and the Jackal
    • This is also a great story, and very similar to another one I've read in the untextbook. 
    • I like that, for once, the trickster uses his tricks for good! 
    • I'd like to see it as the jackal being a woman, the Brahman still a brahman (or maybe even a child), and the tiger a man
  • The Charmed Ring 
    • when the ogress disguises herself as a hag to get to the princess, it's like Snow White - what if I told that story that way?
    • Why is the princess such a mindless person in this story?

No comments:

Post a Comment