Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Week 11 Storytelling: The Magic in Music


“Happy Birthday!” Olivia’s father boomed as he walked through the kitchen door, a large wrapped parcel in his hands.

Smoke from the candles Olivia just blew out still lingered in the air as her mother began cutting pieces for everyone.

Olivia’s eyes lit up at the size of the package. Her father set in on the table in front of her and she immediately began tearing off the wrapping paper. Pieces flew everywhere as her parents looked on with loving smiles. Olivia unwrapped an old leather case. It smelled musty and was practically falling apart at the rusty hinges. Hesitant, she looked over at her father. He urged her on with a look and, with much difficulty, she unlocked the case and swung it open. Nestled between two layers of silk was a fiddle.

Now, to the eyes of a ten-year-old, the instrument was no more than a weird-looking guitar made of wood and string. But the instrument was in fact one of immense beauty. Etched coils and curves followed the outline of the fiddle. At the middle of the instrument, a young woman’s face was carved with skillful detail. Despite its obvious age, the thing boasted a smooth, finished surface. The strings seemed to glint in the light like fine, silky hairs. And Olivia sat staring at it, unimpressed.

“But, I don’t even know how to play,” she began to whine to her father. He just chuckled and moved closer to pick up the instrument himself.

Fiddle
“Ah, you’ll learn in no time, my dear. I was just as unskilled as yourself when I first got it. Though I’ll admit, most of the time I felt as though it made the music on its own.” He gently began to play, producing the saddest, sweetest sound Olivia had ever heard.

Over the next few months, Olivia began to practice every day. She learned at an almost alarming rate and, before long, was playing almost as well as her father. Her mother was astounded at how quickly she picked up the skill, but somehow her father was not surprised. 

Some years later, Olivia's father became very ill and passed away. Devastated by the loss of her father, she could not even think to pick up her beloved fiddle to play. Weeks went by and it sat in her room, collecting dust. Eventually, she moved it to the back of her closet. Seeing it was a constant reminded of her father and his absence. 

One night, not long after her father's death, Olivia lay in bed. The sun was slowly falling below the horizon and the stars began to twinkle gently in the sky. Drifting somewhere between sleep and consciousness, Olivia heard music playing. Thinking she was dreaming, she let the soft, sad tones lull her into a peaceful safety. She did not cry or smile, but just lay quietly. The music became louder. Olivia opened her eyes. Was she awake or was this a dream? She couldn't tell. The music was coming from her closet. She silently approached the door and opened it. The music suddenly stopped. She looked curiously into the closet but saw nothing. She shrugged her shoulders and closed the door. 

She turned to lie back down only to find a young woman sitting on her bed. Slightly startled, Olivia jumped back against the closet door. The young woman started up. 

"Please, do not be afraid. I am not a stranger. In fact, we know each other very well. I am Lyla, the gift your father gave you many years ago."

Olivia looked at the woman skeptically. "Are you trying to tell me you're a fiddle?" she asked. 

Lyla chuckled. "I suppose it does sound silly, but it is the truth. Or partly, anyways. I am a human, undoubtedly. But I reside in the fiddle. The one you cherish so much. The one your father cherished so much before you." Her tone was sympathetic and warm. 

Olivia's skepticism faded at the mention of her father and tears brimmed her eyes. 

"Please do not cry," Lyla pleaded. "I loved him too, very much. Never before had I been played or cared for so lovingly and carefully. Only you have proven to be a more attentive caretaker."

The two sat on the bed in silence for a few moments. "Would you like me to play your father's favorite song for you?" Lyla asked. Olivia did not respond, but lay down in silence and closed her eyes. 

Lyla put her hand over Olivia's and began to hum a familiar tune, one that Olivia's father used to sing to her when she was a child. With that, the two girls both drifted into sleep to the swell of the sweet, sad song.

~~
Author's Note: This story is based on "The Magic Fiddle" from the Indian Fairy Tales unit of the Untextbook. In the original story, a sister lives with her seven brothers and their wives. As a result of a curse the women had placed on the sister, she drowns and is transformed into a Bonga. (At first, I didn't know what a Bonga was. However, Laura informed me that they are basically a kind of spirit or fantasy-type creature. They can be almost any kind of spirit). She then reappears as a bamboo and is cut down and made into a fiddle. The fiddle ultimately ends up in the hands of the chief and, every day, the Bonga girl would come out of the fiddle and make dinner for the household. Eventually she is caught by the chief and somehow she became both a human being and a Bonga and they married. 

I decided the twist this story a little bit because when I read it I thought,  "How awful would it be to be stuck in a fiddle? To be an object and be passed around without any say?" Here, as in the original story, she doesn't seem to mind being in a fiddle. And even more so in my story she embraces it. I tried to think of a good reason why the Bonga girl would reveal herself to someone, despite being in the family for so long and never doing it before. I thought if she had a connection with Olivia, it would make more sense as to why she appeared before her. So, I added in the tragedy of losing a father. The part about appearing to Olivia in a dream (or was it?) added a fun mystical aspect. 

Bibliography:
Indian Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs (1912).

6 comments:

  1. Hello again!
    I enjoyed your story! Simply but very fitting picture choice, too! Your word choice and sentence structure was interesting and made for a fun, easy read.
    You might want to consider this correction:
    “Olivia once again looked skeptically. "Are you trying to tell me your a fiddle?" she asked.” This sentence has an extra space between the period and the quotations leading into Olivia’s questions, so you probably want to erase the extra spaces. Also, you used the wrong form of “your”. It should be “you’re” because it is short for “you are”, which would make Olivia’s question: “Are you trying to tell me you are a fiddle?”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christina! This is a great story! Your author's note was very informative which is very important since I didn't read the original story for this one. I liked where you put the picture because it broke up the story that was pretty long. It made it easier for me to read. It provided a break on the eyes. I liked the moral of this story even though I am musically challenged. It had a great hidden message. Good job with this one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Christina! Great story you have here :) It was a nice break from reading the Buck's Mahabharata. You did a good job writing the story and adding the details. I did not know that fiddle was a violin. Having the picture helped me know what it was. I enjoyed reading your author's note too because you explained the changes you made and the main idea of your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina,

    I’d like to first mention that I chose to comment on this story because of your description of the story. The ‘preview,’ if you will, of your stories is something that I find to be extremely helpful. So on to why I was drawn to this story – I have to completely agree with your claim that music has some power; I can speak from experience in claiming that one of my favorite songs can immediately help me to relax or appreciate things that I tend to overlook. So this was not quite what I expected after reading the first few lines of your tale, but it was great nonetheless. I thought that you did a great job of coming up with the dialogue between the characters and you also did a phenomenal job of setting the scene for us as readers. By doing so, the story flowed effortlessly. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Christina,

    I do not think that I have had the pleasure of visiting your portfolio at all this semester, so I am very excited that I had the chance to now. I have decided to split my project commenting on your portfolio in half. Whenever I do project commenting I always try and respond on the story with the least amount of comments because those stories need love too. Anyway, on to my comment!

    Yes!!! I am so glad that you decided to do a storytelling over this! I did a storytelling over it last semester when I was in mythology and folklore, and I killed it if I do say so myself. I thoroughly enjoy your retelling of the Magic Fiddle, because it was just so different from the original story. In the second paragraph did you mean to say, “Olivia had just blown out” instead? Blew is present tense and the rest of your story is in past tense. Switching the gender’s of the prince and the girl in the fiddle was an excellent touch and definitely made your story stand out from the original version. I also liked that you made the story more modern. Overall, I loved the story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Christina,

    I am from the Mythology and Folklore class, so I am glad to be able to read your story from a different class. First off, this story caught my attention from the beginning because of the title. The Magic in the Music? Sounds interesting. I have always been a big fan of music and it is a part of every single day. So great job on catching my attention.I like the layout of your portfolio because it is simple. Some projects have busy backgrounds that are distracting and make the stories difficult to read.

    I also enjoyed the dialogue in your story. It helped me get to know the characters on a deeper level and it helped break up the paragraphs. I thought that your sentences all flowed smoothly with good grammar and your paragraphs were organized well.

    What a cool picture, too! I thought that your author's note did a good job of giving context to the reader and incite into how you thought up this story.

    Overall, great job! Have a great summer.

    ReplyDelete