Sunday, April 26, 2015

Week 14 Famous Last Words

So quickly has the semester flown by, even for someone like me who is only taking one class. It has really been a privilege to take this course and be able to read so many great stories, both by students and ancient authors. And being able to see my own progress as a writer was something I never expected. Granted, everyone could be just blowing smoke when they comment on my stories, but they seem to really enjoy them. I have never considered myself a writer, but as I did storytelling posts every week I found myself really influenced by my personal life as well as books I was reading at the time. I can see how writing fiction can be outlet for some people. For me,  reading has always been a way to escape reality. But now I can see that writing fiction can just as easily be an escape, as well. You get to create your own world and people and have the ability to make things happen the way you truly wish they could happen. It is a powerful tool.

I have finally settled into my apartment in Texas. I am really surprised at how quickly it has become home to me. I feel so completely at ease when I am here. Maybe it is because I now have family nearby, and they were able to help me put the finishing touches on the place. Either way, I feel very good about this decision (which isn't always the case haha) and am happy I made it.

Source

I have still been reading a lot lately, which I hope I can continue. I just finished a really great short novel by Neil Gaiman called "The Ocean at the End of the Lane". If you have never heard of him, you've probably seen the movie adaptations of his books "Coraline" and "Stardust". He is truly talented in creating a fantasy world that is so closely intertwined with reality. After that I read "The Museum of Extraordinary Things" by Alice Hoffman, which I enjoyed but not nearly as much as Gaiman's book.  Now I am reading "The House Girl" by Tara Conklin, which is an interesting story that has two narratives: one of a young slave in 1850s Virginia and another of a young lawyer in present-day New York. It was slow at the start but I'm about 2/3 through it now and I like it.

I hope that finals week coming up is not too stressful for everyone. I know the experience varies for everyone, but I hate to see people ruin themselves and their sanity for the last two weeks of the semester. Stay calm and do your best! That's all that can be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment