Sunday, April 5, 2015

Week 11 Famous Last Words

For those of you who celebrate it, Happy Easter! Or, as we say in Italian, Buona Pasqua! And for those of you who don't, well...Happy Sunday! This is the best day of the week, in my opinion. For me ans my family, Sundays are always the day to veg out, eat a lot of good food, and stay in your pajamas all day. It's been rainy and dark here in Texas, but that's fine by me. I like the rain.

Easter has some very delicious traditional dishes that we make. While most people will eat ham on Easter, Italian will usually eat lamb or goat. It's pretty good! However, this year we're going easy and just having a nice dish of pasta. But there's plenty of food to snack on until the main course. My personal favorite is pizza gaina:

Pizza gaina, Personal Photo taken 4/5/15
It's a traditional Easter pie, but don't be fooled by that word; it's not sweet. It's filled with ricotta cheese and diced ham. The crust is thick. It's not flaky like a pie crust, but more like a biscuit type texture. Sooo good. But if you're looking for a sweet pie, well then you want pizza dolce:

Pizza dolce, personal photo taken 4/5/15
This is a dessert dish that's very easy to make as it has few ingredients. It's basically just sugar, ricotta and some kind of flavored liqueur. Ricotta has very little taste, which is why it can be used in both savory and sweet dishes. It's that cheese you usually put in lasagna. Of course, we also have sweet bread:

Sweet bread, personal photo taken 4/5/15
It's basically just bread that's sweet! Very tasty. And yes, those are hardboiled eggs in the middle! My mom and auntie also did a really beautiful job decorating the table.




Other than that, live has been a little crazy. I broke my lease for my apartment in OKC and will be moving to Frisco this Friday! So if anyone wants to help me move around 10 AM, you'd be a hero ;) haha. The apartment I found here in Frisco is really beautiful, and the best part is that it has a balcony! None of my apartments have ever had one, even though I think it's one of the best amenities you can have. Work has been a little blah. The project I'm working on involves pretty tedious, monotonous work. So you have to do what you can to keep yourself entertained.

I can't believe there's only four more weeks of this class left! I know for many other students that's probably a huge relief, but since I am only taking this one class I'm disappointed that it will be ending soon. I would definitely continue to take classes one or two at a time if I could, but it's pretty expensive that way. Just this class alone cost me $1,000! I love learning, but I'm unhappy with the way our country puts its students in debt. Ah well, what can I do!

Hope everyone has a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Christina,
    Wow! Your Easter looked amazing! I loved seeing some of the traditional Italian dishes you prepared! My birthday was actually on Easter this year which was kind of weird, but also kind of awesome! I got to enjoy a bunch of awesome food (including vodka pasta, chicken parmesan--looks like we both had some Italian). Good luck on the rest of your semester as well as your move to Frisco!

    ReplyDelete