Monday, April 13, 2015

Week 13 Reading Diary A: Khasi Folktales

Khasi Folktales

The Tiger and the Monkeys
  • I have literally always wondered why the lion is the king of the jungle...here it is the tiger, but still, I have an answer now!
  • For being a wild and unruly bunch, I am impressed by their diplomatic counsel to choose a king
  • Interesting that the king is chosen based on physical strength rather than wisdom or merit. What if we chose our leaders based on that? (Ahem Arnold Schwarzenegger)
  • Brains over brawn, I've always said 
The Legend of the Lei Tree
  •  What would the world be like had the wood cutters not listened to the wren, and the tree covered the entire world in shadows?
Lei tree (Source)
Hunting the Stag Lapalang
  • This reminds me of something I heard on the radio once. A woman was talking about how much our culture and society holds onto the dead for as long as possible (tombstones, burials, funerals, etc.)
The Goddesses Ka Ngot and Ka Iam
  •  Basically the tortoise and the hare
U Biskorum
  • This like the story of original sin, except I like this way better because the people are punished as a group. They all messed up, not just one person
  • How could I tell the story of Adam and Eve with this plot? 
The Stag and the Snail
  • Again, this is very much like the tortoise and the hare! Must be a really important lesson to people for it to be retold so many different times

No comments:

Post a Comment