Thursday, January 29, 2015

Week 3 Storytelling: The Mad Monkey

Brooklyn Museum - Rama and Lakshmana Confer with Sugriva about the Search for Sita Page from a Dispersed Ramayana Series.jpg 
Rama and Lakshmana conferring with Sugreeva (Source)


“Human Breaks Through City Walls, Terror Is A Misunderstanding.”

The words ran across the front page of every newspaper in Kishkinda. Steve dropped the paper on the kitchen table with a sigh.

“I just don’t understand,” he grumbled aloud. “Why do we keep helping these humans who come through our city? All they do is cause trouble for us! I remember when this town used to be safe. A monkey could go to work without worrying about getting mauled by an angry man.”

His wife, Linda, came up behind him and rubbed his shoulders sympathetically. “I know, dear, it’s an awful thing to see. But don’t worry, they’ll be gone soon. Sugreeva will help them find that man’s wife and we will have our home at peace again,” she reassured him.

“Don’t even get me started on that lazy ass Sugreeva. We were doing fine with Vali as king. Then his brother had to get involved. Assassination, corruption…” Steve pushed away from the table and walked over to the window. “We’d be better off not being able to communicate with that species at all."

“We’ll be fine! The city is strong and the King would never let any harm come to us. You don’t have to worry.”

Steve pressed his forehead against the cool glass and closed his eyes, a dull pain forming between them. “Please, Linda, I don’t want to talk about this anymore. I’m going to bed.”

With that he went upstairs and shut the world out, slipping into the warm pleasure of ignorant sleep.

-

The next morning, Steve walked into work not feeling any better. As he passed the spot where Lakshmana had torn down the palace gate, bitterness surged through him. He hurried up to the office. Inside, there was a buzz of energy as people whispered about the prior day’s events. He sat down, his body already feeling heavy and exhausted before the day even began.

“Hiya Steve!” Glen’s goofy smile popped up over the cubicle wall. “Crazy about the attack yesterday, huh? No worries, though! Hanuman says everything is fine. All a big misunderstanding! Which, boy oh boy, made me feel a lot better because we’ve got that company bowling tournament this weekend and…” Glen rattled on and on about Vishnu knows what. Steve closed his eyes, that dull pounding coming back between them. The phone at his desk began to ring again. The prattle echoed in his ears.

Clenching his teeth, Steve interrupted, “This isn’t really a good time, Glen.”

“Not a good time? Oh come on, Steve-O! Buck up! Don’t you worry about that tournament. I’m a great bowler!” Glen laughed. The phone kept ringing. Somewhere down the hall the copier was jammed and screeching. Glen was going on about bowling. The phone again.

Steve snapped. He jumped up out of his chair and ripped the phone out of wall and threw it on the floor. A silence fell over the office and they all turned to look at him. Glen stood stupefied.

“Are you all IDIOTS? Don’t you know that this isn’t going to just go away? Our palace wall was blown to pieces not twenty-four hours ago!” He yelled and turned to Glen. “And I don’t give a rat’s ass about the stupid bowling tournament!” He stormed off, muttering to himself about the idiocy of his own monkey race. 

He decided to walk home, wanting to calm down before seeing his wife again. The air was cool, and some moisture remained from the long rainy season they had. The breeze blew through the tree tops and rustled the leaves. He took a deep breath.

“Am I going crazy here?” Steve thought aloud. “Why am I the only one who sees the danger in getting involved with these humans? No good can come of this, I know it. I feel it…” His thoughts consumed him all the way home. When he reached the front door, he took a moment to collect himself. He spread the best smile he could muster across his face and opened the door.

“Hello, darling, I knocked off early fro-”, he stopped. The living room was dark. He looked around confused. Closing the front door, he walked into the kitchen, also dark. He was about to go look upstairs when he heard shuffling at the table. He turned on the lights and saw Linda sitting there, staring at the wall. She was holding something, although he couldn’t make out what it was.

“What are you doing? What’s wrong?” That pain was coming back.

Linda didn’t say anything. Her fingers traced along the edges of what Steve now saw was an envelope.

“Linda?” Steve asked again. Nothing. “What is that?” There was fear in his voice now.

Finally Linda turned, her face coming into the light. Her eyes were rimmed with tears, although her face was expressionless.

“We’re going to war. Against the rakshasas.” Her voice was slow and calm. She looked up at him, her face finally breaking into tears. 

“They’ve called you to fight.”

~~

Author's Note: This story is based off of the monkeys who Rama and Lakshmana encounter in Kishkinda in 'The Ramayana.' The original story itself does not really offer much information about the monkeys who live in Kishkinda, only the major characters like Vali and Sugreeva. While I was reading the part of the story involving the monkeys, I found myself wondering how normal it is in epics that animals can talk. Interestingly enough, their behavior is based on human behavior. You would think that animals would be a little different - although that is mentioned once when the brothers are fighting each other. Jokingly, I thought that animals probably wish they never even knew how to talk to humans. That way, they would never get asked for favors and never have to get involved in battles and search parties that don't involve them. Eventually that led me to creating a back story for the monkeys who end up fighting for Rama in the Battle of Lanka. The interesting part is that while I was writing, I found a lot of the sentiments relevant to today (even though I was writing about monkeys). I tried to add some humor to make it more of a dark comedy type. 
  
Bibliography: Narayan, R. K. (1972) The Ramayana.
 

14 comments:

  1. Hi Christina! Your story was so enjoyable to read. I really like the whole animals versus humans concept you portrayed. I also was assumed how you made it into such a modernized story with Steve and his job at the office with some corky humor. It was really interesting how you purposed the idea of the monkeys living day-to-day lives and all of a sudden, after a tragedy being asked to fight in battle. Overall, I was able to connect with your storytelling because you did such an amazing job tying together the reading and your own take on things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love the way you've told this story! It's great to get the perspective of some of the other background monkey citizens on everything that is going on, after all, they didn't asked to be dragged into a war with Ravana that would take the lives of many of them! It's excellent how you worked that into the story by having someone who hates the humans so much get called into their war at the end. Overall, I really loved your story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Great job on this story. I love that it was a modern twist because we can all relate to the feelings of war and conflict no matter the time period (I don't know why, but I love the use of Western names like Steve and Linda in this ancient story). At first, the story was pretty light-hearted with bits of conflict and drama, but by the end, the story really hit home. I also like how the story sympathized with the monkeys and showed their point of view after Lakshmana's attack. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christina! This story was great! The pacing was perfect and it was great how you balanced the darker themes of war with some humor sprinkled through out. When I was reading about Lakshmana breaking down the gates and scaring all of the monkey citizens, I also thought about how horrible and terrifying he must have seemed to them.

    I like how you made the monkeys like humans, as they were in the story, as well as making them seem modern and Westernized with their jobs and homes. Also, Steve being the only one who was concerned about the humans and what it meant for their future was a nice touch. The characters all had their own personalities and were well written.

    I didn't notice any big grammar or punctuation errors. As I said above, the flow was good and the story was very well set up and easy to read. Great job! I look forward to reading more of your stories throughout the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again, I'm really amazed by your writing! This is one of my favorite stories I've read this semester. In this one, I really noticed what a good job you did with the dialogue, particularly with giving the characters very distinct voices. Glen, especially, was funny but also super easy to imagine just because of the way he talked. I liked the joke "... on and on about Vishnu knows what." Clever. The story itself was thoughtful and imaginative, and the writing was really terrific. Great job, all across the board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to confess - the Vishnu thing was a suggestion from Laura! Ha! But I agree, I thought it was pretty funny.

      Thank you for the positive feedback! I'm glad you are enjoying my stories.

      Delete
  6. Christina, what a creative story! First off, the story was very well written. I loved the modern dialogue that you used for the monkeys. It seemed as if poor Steve was a pessimist at first, but in the end he knew what was coming. I agree with you that the story ended up being somewhat relevant to today. War is something that many people have to live with everyday! It was a good idea to tell the story from the point of view of the monkeys. There had to have been some people questioning the invasion of these humans. I also like how you portrayed the monkeys going about their everyday life. It made the story much more realistic. You brought a lot of life to this story, and I really enjoyed it. Can't wait to see what you put up next!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Christina,

    I absolutely loved your Mad Monkey story! It was creative and entertaining. The way you wrote it from a monkey’s perspective but made him seem like he was human was inspired! I’m not sure if this is where you got the name Steve from, but have you seen Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs? The monkey’s name is Steve! But back to your story… Steve made me think of the way parents or grandparents talk; “Back in my day” or “This neighborhood has gone to the dogs.” You did an excellent job at capturing personality in your dialogue. You have the grumpy husband and his loving, reassuring wife. That “lazy ass” comment had me cracking up! Seriously, I think you just wrote a sitcom or the beginning of a book. The only think I would have to say is capitalize more of the words in the newspaper title, that way it stands out more and does not blend in with the dialogue. I cannot wait to read more of your work! Phenomenal!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, thank you so much for the positive feedback! I will definitely edit the newspaper title.

      Delete
  8. Christina,
    Wow this story is so realistic! It’s amazing that you turned the monkeys into having such human-like personalities. I really like that you started your story off in an office setting. I picture a middle-aged white man with a mediocre job who is disgruntled everyday because of his monotonous lifestyle. Steve seems like one of those characters that knows he is bored with life but yet continues to do his daily routine—always knowing in the back of his mind he wants more. I chose to read this story because of your title “The Mad Monkey” so great job choosing an interesting title that draws readers in! I had no idea the twist you would take until I read your Author’s Note which made me that much more eager to read. To top off the already captivating story, you left the readers with a cliff hanger which is truly remarkable! You should write regularly if you do not already. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christina,

    This story is so good! I thought you did such a wonderful job of personifying the monkeys. I feel like your story has an interesting setting, though. For the portion of the story where you are talking about Steve getting angry at his job, I felt like he was in a modern day office. I pictured cubicles and monkeys on phone calls. However, when I read the past portion of the story I really felt like I was reading about WWII. I find it interesting that you chose a letter as the means to inform the character of the request of his presence in war. It was quite an interesting story, though! I commend you on your creativity and your ability to create such a good story out of minute details.
    Now I really want to know what happens after the end of the story! I wish this were a story book, because you have me hanging on for more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This story was great! I would have never thought to tell the story like this, what a fresh idea! I liked that I got background from other monkey citizens. I was amused by what human like qualities you gave the monkeys especially right from the get go when Steve was complaining about the Humans. For some strange reason I am totally curious as to why you chose the names Steve and Linda. People you know, really generic names or just names that popped in your head? This left me wanting more…first Steve is living an every day life then asked to go into battle! I want more! Does he go to battle, more importantly does he come home safetly? I have so many questions. The language you used was very relatable and easy to understand. The little bits of humor brought the story to life. Overall great story! Have a great spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Christina! I am glad I got into your group! I just commented on your most recent storytelling and I absolutely loved it! One of my favorite thing about Ramayana is the monkeys:) They play a crucial part of the story. I like how you gave the monkeys human characteristics. I believe giving animal human characteristics in a literature is called anthropomorphism. I love the dialogue between the monkeys because it really gives them that human characteristics.

    I loved the little jokes and humor you added to the story. My favorite part of the story is that the monkeys were acting like human beings. Your writing was one of the most creative stories ever. It was a well written story overall. There were hardly any grammatical errors. I think the author's note could be a little more detailed on more specific components of the story. Awesome job on the story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Christina!
    I really enjoyed your story. It reminded me of the book “Animal Farm” that I read in high school because it portrays the whole animals versus human concept even though the two stories are not similar to each other at all. It is a very creative concept that you came up with. It was a good idea telling the stories from the monkey’s perspective because it adds a different twist to it. Your word choice and imagery brought a lot of life into the story and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    The structure of your paragraphs and sentences were good and it made your story easier to ready and gave it a better overall flow. I didn’t really find any grammatical errors so good job in minimizing those! Overall, I thought your stories was one of my favorite of all the stories I have read so far in the course and I thank you for the great read!

    ReplyDelete