Sunday, January 25, 2015

Week 2: Famous Last Words

This week was nice because we started reading the Ramayana. I have to say that so far, it is basically what I expected with only a few twists. I was really impressed with two characters: Sita and Lakshmana. Learning about all these different people is a little difficult to keep track of, but the reading guides help! I think one of my favorite scenes from the pages we read was when Rama first saw Sita. The description of the city that was full of luxury, jewels, music, beautiful people...it created such a vivid image in my mind of a place that is constantly celebrating with joy just to be alive. The imagery was really nice, and I’m interested in seeing how Buck will take it on in his version. If there’s one preconceived notion that I had about Indian tales is that they are colorful (literally and metaphorically) and fantastic. So far, those notions have been confirmed! And I am not disappointed by that at all.


Personal photo, taken 1/24/15

Lately I’ve always been reading Essays by E.B. White. I do not know much about him except that he is the author of ‘Charlotte’s Web’ and ‘Stuart Little’. I just saw the book will perusing the public library and decided to give it a try. I know you’re not supposed to judge a book by it’s cover but...it was bright blue and had a picture of a dog and typewriter on it! So far I’ve enjoyed the simplicity of it. They’re really just random musings that he had at some point and range anywhere from farm like to politics. I also picked up ‘Jane Eyre’ which I am excited to read because it has always been on my list but I’ve never gotten around to reading it. I am a big Jane Austen fan and figured I’d likely enjoy the Bronte works, as well! Below is a quote I enjoyed from White - seemed fitting considering the weather lately (even though it's January...).  Hope you enjoy it!

"No matter what changes take place in the world, 
or in me, 
nothing ever seems to disturb 
the face of Spring." 

- Essays of E. B. White, E. B. White


4 comments:

  1. Hi Christina, it’s so refreshing to see someone who still reads books. I know that is hilarious and odd to hear someone say, but it’s true. Reading is so outdated it seems and especially reading physical books. I have never read anything by E. B. White, but I have read Jane Eyre. It was one of favorite books, and I’m sure you will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christina! I was really impressed by Lakshmana too. He pretty much could have been the hero of the story since he was always saving people or building things. I hope you post about your thoughts on E.B. White's essays, I've never read any of his books but I love that quote of his that you provided. I feel like you'll love Jane Eyre, it can be a little dry to read sometimes but overall it's a great book. Happy blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Christina! I am really impressed that you got a book from the library just because you thought it looked interesting! Those people are few and far between, these days. I hope that you post more quotes from the book, and that it meets your expectations! Best of luck on the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again Christina. I'm also a HUGE Jane Austen fan and I loved Jane Eyre, both the book and, surprisingly enough, the movie. I've never read anything of E.B. White's, though I saw the movies of Charlotte's Webb and Stuart Little, perhaps I should do that one of these days? I enjoyed starting the Ramayana this week and I think this is going to be an excellent class.

    ReplyDelete