Saturday, January 17, 2015

Week 1: Famous Last Words

This first week in the class has been great. One of the things that I'm really excited about is all the tech tips! This sounds silly, but I have very basic knowledge about how to use all the media outlets and online resources. I'm a twenty-two year old with the mind of a seventy-five year old! Haha. I've used Google Docs and Pinterest before but never knew I could do half the things that the tech tips taught me! I can see these being a really great resource since almost any job is going to require an intensive knowledge of how to use these tools. Plus, it just helps me get more out of them! So I am sincerely grateful that the tech tips break everything down so I can easily follow along and learn them.

I enjoyed reading the Storytelling posts by Kelsey and Anthony this week. Most of my creative writing is reflective of the kinds of books that I read (mostly non fiction and memoirs). As a result, it may come off as simple, basic, possibly even boring? Kelsey had great dialogue between her characters, and Anthony did a cool journal entry monologue in his story. These will definitely be writing styles I consider using to amp up my stories!

As for outside of school, this week has been challenging. I’ve found that the new job I started just isn’t what I expected and does not feel like a right fit for me. I’ve decided to quit and I’m pretty nervous about doing so. Anyone have any tips on how to quit a job? Haha. I am looking forward to finding something that I’m better suited for! I also saw a very cool quote this week which my sister posted on Facebook. I’d like the share it with you! I hope it inspires others like it did me. Have a nice weekend everyone! 

Actor and author Oscar Wilde circa 1882. (Source)

"Oscar Wilde said that if you know what you want to be, then you inevitably become it - that is your punishment, but if you never know, then you can be anything. There is a truth to that. We are not nouns, we are verbs. I am not a thing - an actor, a writer - I am a person who does things - I write, I act - and I never know what I am going to do next. I think you can be imprisoned if you think of yourself as a noun." -Stephen Fry (Source)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment